Tuesday, July 26, 2011

A murder case reopened

In 1998 a young woman lost her life to a criminal that knows no bounds; Christine Mirzayan was murdered while on her way to her home in Georgetown. Now 13 years later police and investigaters want to recontinue the search for her murderer with a new found lead. They believe the suspect has committed a series of other similar crimes going back as far as 1991, a link in the DNA evidence of the victim helps better identify the crime with the others from 7 years ago. Now that they have to capabilities and the technology to find and arrest this man, it is more than likely he won't see the light of day once he's prosecuted. The article I read in the post did a decent job at recapping the crime and , they also did a fair amount of coverage on Christine (tried to build that personal connection with the readers). One thing I think they failed to do was probably focus on the killer and what their course of action will be to catch this maniac. Supposedly there was a witness that got a good look at his face when he came out of the woods, she was able to match her description with a forensics drawer and they came up with a pretty good photo of him. Now me, I'm all for catching this guy who killed this innnocent woman but I will be honest; a little part of me sank when I say the forensics photo. I was taken aback and all I could do was shake my head: the killer/sexual assulater was black. Maybe it was becauseI didn't really expect him to be black, or maybe it's because I knew that this would be just another setback for the good black men in the world. I can't really pinpoint the reason for my awkward reaction, but I do know that I do want him harshly punished and put behind bars. I also know that we as a Black nation just have to do better, we just gotta do better.

No comments:

Post a Comment